Wednesday, September 24, 2008

"Spartanly"

When I picked up my lunch today I saw a sign advertising "new" homes. Now, this has always been a pet-peeve of mine, using "this" when there is usually a perfectly good word to describe "this" without having to us "these". The sign didn't say why these homes were "new" and not new, but there had to be a better word to describe them, don't you think? Like perhaps, refurbished, renovated or remodeled, rather than "new", which is so vague.

When I got back to work, my office mate was looking through a dictionary, trying to find the meaning of a word I'd used in an email to the entire company. I'd apparantly mistyped the word additionally and when the spell check popped up, I just said OK and it changed the word to spartanly! So I've fielded a handful of goofy emails from my coworkers teasing me about my word "choice".

2 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL! That's funny! What does sparently mean anyway?

Unknown said...

Main Entry: Spartan
Function: adjective
Date: 1561
1: of or relating to Sparta in ancient Greece

Definitely NOT what I was trying to convey in my email LOL!