Friday, September 19, 2008

Taking care of Doughnut-Boy

My stepson stays with me on the weekends, it's been that way since he was very small. My boys' dad and I are in the middle of a divorce and now he lives in a different state, so it's important to me that the brothers see each other regularly.
This past weekend, we went to a party and afterwards, I took J back to his mom's house, forgetting that he'd brought over his hampster Doughnut-Boy. When I got home, J called with instructions on feeding and care.
The first night Doughnut-Boy was in J's room, however he pulled a Houdini and my dad discovered him in the bathroom at midnight. Since then I've kept him in his cage inside my bathtub to prevent anymore late-night jaunts. The door has to be kept closed too because the constant whirring of this running wheel would wake the dead.
It's been fun having him greet me in the morning when I'm getting ready for work. He stands and sniffs the air until I give him breakfast, usually an almond, half of a cracker, a grape cut in two and a piece of celery. I love to watch him grab the cracker with his tiny paws and to hear the itty-bitty crunch. He usually stuffs the whole almond in his mouth to save for later and then he gives him a bath.
Not sure why J has named him Doughnut-Boy though, I'll have to ask him. I'm not sure if it's because the hamster likes to eat doughnuts or because he's the caramel color of a maple bar?
Here is J with another one of his hampster, a dwarf named SuperSon (offspring of SuperMan and SuperWoman, of course!)


Updated with cutest picture of Doughnut-Boy, isn't he a sweetie?

No comments: