Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Our Yard

I grew up in the same house I live in now. My parents have lived there since 1972. My brother was looking at old pictures on Father's Day and there was one of him and I standing next to a newly planted tree on the front lawn. It was propped up with sticks, with a spindly little trunk. 20+ years later, that tree offers us a wonderfully shady yard to spend our summer afternoons.

That isn't the only change over the last few years. Within the last 3 years, my parents fenced in the yard, put in EZ-Turf and we've hung a few swings for the kids. On any given day scattered around the yard there are about 5 bikes or scooters, 6 balls, 3 plastic baseball bats, various garden shovels, 3 plastic buckets, a bug house, a badmitton racket and birdie, 2 foam footballs, a cardboard box with drawings on the side (could it be a rocket ship? A race car?), popsicle sticks and wrappers, a few plastic cups...the list could go on, as I'm sure you know!

How in the world can you ever choose what to play with in this yard?

Photobucket
My cousin's adorable baby

This is what our yard is for:

Photobucket
For swinging

Photobucket
For laying on the "grass", too dizzy after spinning on the swing

Photobucket
For snuggling on a bench, enjoying the shade (my brother & nephew)

Photobucket
For climbing the tree

Photobucket
For wrestling and making a "dog pile" (that's my guy under the stack of kids)

And my personal favorite...slurping popsicles on the porch!
Photobucket

No comments: