Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Read it again...and again...and again!

My officemate has been on a reading frenzy lately, scooping up new books from our bookshelf here at work. On our business trip last Friday, she bought a new book at Union Station and finished it over the weekend. She's never been a very big reader, so this is new for her.
I just can't seem to get myself into reading anything new. The last new book series I picked up was Harry Potter, which I devoured but that was the last new book. Anything current just doesn't interest me. I guess I'm so worried that I will have invested hours of time reading only to be disappointed by the ending and feel like I wasted time I could have spent reading something I liked.
So here's my plug for the classics! I read, reread, and read-again the same books over and over. There is just something about reading the same books again that makes me feel safe and warm. I know I'll love it, because I've read it 10 times already! When I want a crime-drama, I escape into Scout and Gem's world in To Kill a Mockingbird or The Great Gatsby. Ready for a tearjerker? Bring on The Yearling or The Grapes of Wrath. You can't beat Rebecca for a great mystery. A Room with a View is oh-so romantic. And you were probably forced to read these in high school, so try them again on your own time: The Catcher in the Rye, East of Eden and Of Mice and Men.
I don't have much time to read lately but occassional when I feel the urge, I'll grab one of my favorites off my shelf and dive in. Just like being with an old friend...I know the plot, I'm invested in the characters, no fuss, no mess, I can just ENJOY!

No comments: