Thursday, June 5, 2008

Recital time!

So, in addition to being a single mom, full-time employee at a catalog company and part-time seamstress/artist, I also teach children's tumbling classes at a local rec center. I used to teach lots more classes: ballet, tap, jazz, toddler movement, gymnastics and tumbling (about 11 classes a week) but cut back to just 2 classes a week many years ago after my son was born. My broken down body just couldn't handle the physicality of it all anymore. I've been teaching for 18 years and I will say that I'm a pretty darned good teacher! Over the years, I've learned what works with the kids and what doesn't.
Tomorrow is our 9th Annual Rec Center Recital! It should be our 10th but I took time off when I had my son and we didn't have a recital one of those years. In any case, this is the first year that I feel totally unprepared!! We had to push back the date of the show a few weeks later than usual so that should have given us more time, but I still feel like we aren't quite ready. The kids still look at each other a little bit lost sometimes, like they don't know what part comes next. We combine the ballet classes with the tumbling classes to have one big show and even the ballet teacher says that her kids don't really know their routine very well....eek! Oh well, I guess we'll see what happens tomorrow. One year, a tape broke and the kid's didn't have any music to dance to do. I ended up singing the song out loud, in front of about 200 people just so the kids could keep the beat! That was embarrassing. At least now there is another teacher and not just me, so I have some assistance and don't run around like a nut. I even used to make all the costumes, thank goodness I don't do that anymore! Wish us luck, I think we are going to need it tomorrow!

No comments: