Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Fat vs Sugar vs Taste

In an effort to try and be "good", I decided to try the low-fat version of my breakfast staple, the Cinnamon-Brown Sugar Pop-Tart (yeah, I know... I should be eating egg whites and fruit instead!). The original version is so yummy, rich and flaky but the low-fat version, not so much. It doesn't have the same flavor as the original, it's actually sweeter tasting, blech. And it wasn't just my taste-buds that were detecting an extra sweetness, the low-fat version actually has more sugar. The original Pop-Tart has 7 grams of fat and 16 grams of sugar. The low-fat version has 3 grams of fat and 18 grams of sugar. Now, that's for ONE pastry but who eats just one? They are packaged as a pair and that's how they're goin' down! So double those numbers and that's breakfast...yikes, I think I need to develop a taste for egg whites instead!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

YIKES thanks for sharing. I would have gone for the low fat ones too. who knew!!!