Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Mom's Day "Off"

As I've mentioned, The Boy and The Girl have opposing Spring Break vacations this year. So the week before last, The Girl was at a school-run day care program and The Boy was still in school. And now this week, The Boy is on vacation, spending his days off with my parents. The Girl is back at school. Hmph, no vacation for me!

I've been itching for a day to myself, just to get some things done around the house. It's hard to even etch out just an hour to myself. A few weeks ago was MY day. Of course, it didn't go exactly as planned because things never really do when I try to plan it...but it was still very productive!

1. I slept in. In fact, it was so much later than usual that The Boy came into my room and asked if he was going to school that day. It was great to not have to rush around getting ready at 5:45am like usual. We ate breakfast leisurely and I dropped him off at the curb when the bell rang (instead of at morning care). He liked walking across the street by himself (well, with the crossing guard), he's so independent!

2. I took maternity pictures at the park. This is my cousin's friend, who also happens to be the daughter of The Boy's kindergarten teacher (his class last year).

Photobucket
With cool Sepia action!

3. I spent the morning and late afternoon photo editing the 60+ pictures that I took. Whew!

4. I washed two loads of laundry. That's not really anything new, though, I do that every other day.

5. I baked a batch of cupcakes. The idea was to test these silicone crown baking cups for work, to see if they are something we'd like to carry at work. They have a fill line inside each cup, which I dutifully followed, but it didn't seem to help (as noted by these overflowing cupcakes!). They also took an additional 10 minutes to cook all the way through, a total of 30 minutes for four cupcakes! At least they still tasted good.

Photobucket

6. Went to Target and bought a bunch of organizing supplies including a wire storage rack (on sale!) and some great lime green storage bins (on sale!). My sewing room was in desperate need of some organizing. There were stacks of fabric, completed outfits, scraps, buttons, laces, patterns and pre-made tees in piles all over the room. All that mess was really affecting my sewing mojo. It's really hard to build up the drive to create when you can't find a darned thing in that disaster.

I haven't been able to get a decent photo of the sewing room but I'll try and post one soon. It's been a few weeks now since I organized and it's starting to get a little cluttered again, oops!

7. Around noon my husband called. The job he'd been working on was ending and they were sending him home for the day. There goes my afternoon chick flick...Bring on the Locked Up marathon!

8. We ate a lunch of leftovers, crock pot beef with garlic cloves on corn tortillas with green chilis, cilantro, green onion and sour cream. YUM!

9. I assembled the wire storage shelf upstairs by myself. I was dripping sweat and just about finished when my husband poked his head in the door and asked if I needed help putting it together. Uh, no, you're about 30 minutes too late, honey!

10. Picked up The Boy from school. My "Me" day was over, boo-hoo.

At least the day ended on a "sweet" note!

Photobucket

No comments: