Friday, July 8, 2011

Flashback to the 90s

It's been *gasp* 20 years since I graduated high school.

This weekend was our class reunion and it was the first time in 20 years that I'd seen many of these people.

Photobucket
Sweet 16, taken a month before I started my senior year of high school

I grew up in the same city, going to the same elementary, junior high and high school so some of these people I've known since I was 5 years old! Some of them I only hung out with during school hours in elementary, some were friends in junior high, some just during high school years and then some of them I didn't start hanging out with until after we'd graduated and were all attending our separate colleges.

Many of them participated in AYSO soccer with me and then later, dance classes at Harper's Dance Studio. There were Brownies and Girl Scouts. There were the wild slumber parties where we often stayed up all night in a tent in the backyard playing the new Madonna cassette tape over and over. Some of us were in the marching band together (I carried the first letter A that spelled out our high school's name).

Photobucket
Me in 5th grade, how many of my elementary friends remembered me (an odd combination of The Boy and my nephew!)

Some still live in the same city (myself, included) but most are living elsewhere. Some became teachers and are working back at the same school!

I'm a different person than I was back in school, despite the fact that my face hasn't changed very much! I used to be much more shy and nervous and now I don't have any problems in social situations. So I was really very surprised how many of my old classmates even remembered me! I guess I just assumed I was that quiet girl with the big glasses, sitting in the back of the room, hoping that nobody noticed her was really noticed after all!

No comments: