Friday, December 10, 2010

Our Special Person

Photobucket

A week before The Boy's 7th birthday, we received a note in his backpack from his teacher explaining that he'd been chosen as "Special Person" for the week. This entailed him making a poster of photos of the people in his life, his classmates drawing portaits of him, and a small party in the classroom. The party fell on his actual birthday.

I emailed the teacher to let her know that day was his birthday and that I'd been planning on coming in with cupcakes anyway. She was so surprised to hear that as apparantly "Special Person" is just a random draw and no students had ever had this fall on their actual birthday before.

The Boy and I baked cupcakes the night before and assembled the treat bags. He chose lollipops, a package of jacks and happy face stickers, an eraser and pencil to put in each bag. I'd intended to make & decorate sugar cookies but with this finger injury, I'm just not up to rolling out dough and squeezing a piping bag yet!

I met Grandma, Grandpa and my nephew at the school for the party. The kids were WOUND UP!! The teacher explained that with the holidays fast approaching, the students' excitement is building and their focus is dwindling!

Photobucket
A list of his favorite things

Mrs. Gegax had the children sing one of the Christmas songs they are practicing for their show. Then she had my son talk about the poster we'd made over the weekend. Each child had something sweet to say to him that ranged from "You're the best friend I could ever have" to "You have the prettiest brown eyes". So sweet!!!

Photobucket
The "Love Walk" gauntlet

Finally they did a "Love Walk" and he lined up at the end of the double row of students and each of the kids whispered something kind into his ear about how special he is to them. The look on his face as he leaned over to hear each whisper was just precious.

Afterwards we had Happy Face carrot cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. The design idea was all his and it was just perfect (and thankfully, easy for me to execute with my bandaged finger!).

Photobucket
Happy Face cupcakes

Grandma, the boys and I went to see Tangled in 3-D and then later back to the house for dinner. I'd made the lasagna the night before so I just popped it into the oven. The crock pot was full of The Boy's requested food, chicken legs. Actually, he'd requested frog legs, but I wasn't going there!

Photobucket
Opening gifts

He received a wonderful assortment of gifts, from a telescope from his aunt and uncle, a new board game from Grandma & Grandpa, Bionicles from his brother, a Lego Star Wars book & Wii game from me and his favorite...his very own fishing pole from Danny.

Photobucket
Opening gifts

Photobucket
Happy Face cake

They went out fishing on Saturday and he cast out himself and caught two good sized fish! I think he had a pretty special birthday week.

Photobucket
Getting ready...

Photobucket
Blowing out the candles with Danny

No comments: