Thursday, October 27, 2011

Forgetful Pregnancy Brain strikes on Halloween!

Photobucket
Our Pirates at the Carnival

This year, for The Boy's school Halloween Carnival I was in charge of decorating the class booth, the Pumpkin Squirt Game. I had planned on setting the kids to work, drawing simple Jack O' Lantern shapes onto orange construction paper....but I discovered too late that I was out of orange. *sigh* I had plenty of pink and navy blue, though.

I'd already gone to the craft store with the boy and bought the poster board and glitter glue and there was no desire in me to go back to the store so we made do with what we had. I designed the sign that hung over the booth and it looked pretty good. We used a sparkly lime green spider garland, cotton spider webbing and pipe-cleaner spiders that my cousin's wife had given to the kids at their party the day before. My tall hubby was in charge of hanging everything on Saturday afternoon before the Carnival started. Thank goodness for tall, unpregnant people.

Did I think to take a picture of our finished booth?

Nope.

Last year I was a Halloween baking fool. Of course at the time I was still living at my parent's house and had not yet started the preparations for our wedding. I did recreate the Jack Skellington cupcakes I made last year to give to the school for the Carnival bake sale & cake walk prizes.

Did I think to take a picture of the cupcakes?

Nope.

Saturday afternoon before the Carnival the kids and their dad cut and decorated their pumpkins! Where was I? I'd gone upstairs to rest and read for a little while and fell asleep. My husband let me sleep for over an hour and I was so groggy when I got up. So I missed pumpkin carving, but I was able to avoid digging out pumpkin guts and that's okay by me!

Photobucket
So, this is as good as it gets in the photography dept for that, the kids dressed for church on Sunday with their pumpkins.

However, I did make up for all the slacking off with plenty of photos taken during the Carnival and on Halloween day!

Photobucket

The kids in their finished costumes! This was actually the first time I'd seen them all put together and wearing all the parts.

The only thing I bought here were the coordinating stripes, I had everything else on hand. The black faux velvet was from The Boy's spider costume two years ago, I always keep plain black and white cotton on hand and the trims and ribbons are just random things from my stash. My favorite recycled part are the brass buttons that used to be my dad's from his military and police uniforms!

Photobucket
I know this probably only irritates me, but the serged edge of their head-scarves is showing...I only finished one side and then accidentally put them on backwards...ooops!

I crafted a basic twirl skirt for The Girl with a drop waist. Double the size of the child's waist for the upper section and then double the size of that upper section for the skirt. Gather the skirt section and attach to the upper section. Then create a casing for elastic in the upper section and insert elastic cut to fit the waist measurement. So much twirl!

I added a bit of swag in faux velvet to one side of the skirt and then handsewed on some draped sparkly trim and brass buttons. The waist cinch was from last year's Halloween fairy costume.

The Girl's vest is just two simple shapes with grommets at the sides and then tied together under the arms.

The Boy is wearing his glow-in-the-dark pajama top from Gymboree from two years ago (it barely fits!). I made him a simple open vest with button trim and faux button holes on the opposite side. A long sash was edged with decorative white stitching. I created the jagged edges on the pants by first ironing on black fusible webbing and then cutting the edges.

Photobucket
Back view

For the simple applique on the backs of each vest, I drew out the basic skull & crossbones sketch, traced each piece (upper & lower skull, each individual bone, eye and nose sockets) onto Heat n' Bond, ironed the pieces to white cotton, cut out on the lines, peeled off the Heat n' Bond backing, ironed onto the vests and then straight-stitched around the pieces close to the edge.

Photobucket
Pirate Princess

Photobucket
Pirate Prince

Photobucket
The Boy with his skeletal classmate

Photobucket
Blow yer boat down!

Photobucket
The Girl won this doughnut biting game handily (I think she was so anxious to get at that doughnut before Daddy-the-health-nut thought better of it!).

Photobucket
The Boy was not getting the hang of this doughnut biting game, but he sure did smile sweetly!

Photobucket
The Boy with his big brother and cousin before Trick or Treating.

Photobucket
My nephew, with some handsome facial adornments!

See, I made up for the spacey parts of my weekend with some fun photos...I would have never forgiven myself if I'd not taken pictures of them in their pirate finery!

No comments: