Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Countdown to Disney - Hotel Insanity

I have updated this post and have it featured on my blog Saving Up for Disney.

So apparantly I had a momentary lapse into insanity and I booked us for two nights in the newly-renovated Disneyland Hotel for our upcoming trip.



"This hotel is connected to the park?", says my husband.

Nope, that's the Grand Californian and that would have been at least another $75 extra per night.

"Is it a suite?"

No, just a standard room. But I will definitely ask for an upgrade. I've always at least received a park-view room for the standard price when I ask for an upgrade.

"But for that price, it includes breakfast, right?"

Uh, no...if you want a breakfast you buy the $40 a person buffet at Goofy's Kitchen.

"Do we at least get a foot massage at the end of the day?", he asks with a wink.

He's joking at this point, of course.

Fortunately he's been a good sport about the fact that I spent a small fortune on a weekend vacation. He's extremely frugal and I'm sure it's sending him over the edge on the cost of this trip but he's biting his tongue...for once! Love you, honey *wink*

In any case, this is where we are staying, the Disneyland Hotel.

It's recently undergone a vast renovation. I last stayed here in 2007 and it looks like a lot has been done in the last 5 years. The rooms are modern and elegant, with sweet Disney touches, like the velvety pillows and headboard with firework lights.



The pool area is all reimagined too. This was the view I had in 2007 when I stayed there of the Neverland Pool area (themed after Peter Pan).

Photobucket

And the newly themed Monorail pool, delightfully retro.



We plan on swimming in the afternoons and taking advantage of that nice pool. I don't often swim anymore, but I am considering a trip down one of those waterslides, it looks like so much fun!!

I just looked online and see that only the suites have refrigerators, so I'm going to have to break it to Danny that his plan to bring milk for cereal in the morning isn't going to work. But they have coffeemakers, that counts for something right? "Sorry, no free foot massage...but would you like another cup of coffee?" UPDATE: Our hotel did have a fridge, must have been a part of the remodel. It came in really handy for chilling juice boxes and yes, he really did bring milk for breakfast.

So what is the benefit of staying at a Disneyland resort hotel?

Yes, you are close but truly there are hotels on the other side of the street that are also within walking distance and could be considered closer. The Grand Californian has it's own entrance to California Adventure that we can access by walking through their lobby. And access to the Monorail is close to the Disneyland Hotel as well. Otherwise it's a brisk walk through Downtown Disney to get to the front gates.



As Resort guests, we will have entrance to either park one hour before it opens to the public. A lot can be accomplished in an hour and we intend to tackle Cars Land on the first day and Fantasyland on the second day during our Magic Morning hour!

The Disney touch for sure is a major selling point. The hotels, like the parks, are well-cared for and maintained and I've never met any cast member (Disney employee) that didn't embody that spirit. I've heard otherwise online, but that's the honest truth from me, I've experienced nothing but warmth and exceptional courtesy from all Disney cast members.

So, I'm looking forward to the hotel for sure, even though it's about 3 times what we would normally spend. It is a AAA 4-Diamond hotel now so I'm hoping the issues that bothered Danny at our last hotel (number one being the dirty carpet that made our socks black) won't even be an issue this time. I'm wishing for that perfect Disney magic and wonderful customer service to win him over completely and he feels that each penny spent was worth it!! A girl can dream...

Next visit, a Signature Suite! Right, honey? Right...

No comments: